Whether you’ve been in your position for years or you’re just starting out, you may find yourself questioning whether you’ve made the right decision. It often goes much deeper than whether or not your company is right for you—you may wonder if your career path is the right choice for your personality, background, and skillset. Here’s how to know if you’re on the right path.
1. You look forward to going to work. The “Sunday blues” don’t apply to you, and you never dread heading into the office. This is a surefire sign that you love your job.
2. You enjoy what you do. When you finally do get into the office, you enjoy your day to day tasks and missions. Your work is meaningful to you and doesn’t create unnecessary stress in your life.
3. You have the opportunity for creativity. Even if you get to challenge yourself in small ways, the ideal career path will test your skill and your creativity with each passing day.
4. You don’t mind putting in more time or effort. The boss asks you to stay late? Not a problem. Do you have to work hard to meet your goals? All in a day’s work.
5. You recommend your company to others. If a friend is looking for work and you’re quick to recommend your company, you can rest assured that you’re in the right place.
6. You identify with your company and/or its mission. It’s important that your goals, morals, and ambitions align with your company. This will keep you loving what you do, and help you stick with it long term.
7. Work isn’t keeping you up at night. If work concerns have you lying awake and worrying, it might be time for a change. At the end of the night, you should feel rested and accomplished.
8. The money is right. Money should never be your main priority, but with the right career path, the salary meets your financial needs.
9. You have fun at work. Whether it’s what you do or who you do it with, work should be fun. After all, you spend a good chunk of your time there.
10. You talk about your job at home. And we don’t mean you rant to your friends or family. If you can’t wait to tell your pals or your significant other about your day at work, that’s a good sign.
11. You like the people you work with. Who you work with is just as important as the work itself. Do you enjoy being around them? Do you have similar goals? Do you want to spend time with them outside of work?
12. You feel accomplished at work. No one likes to feel as if their skills are being wasted. If you feel that your talents are being put to good use, you’re in the right place.
13. You’re excited about your future. Whether you’d like to stay with the same company or branch out in your field, you’re excited to see where your career path will take you.
14. You’re proud to tell people what you do. Introducing yourself with your job title just feels right. You’re proud of what you do and the company you work for.
15. You can’t imagine following another career path. If there’s nothing you’d rather be doing, that’s the clearest sign of all. You’ve found the right career, so stick with it.
So what do you think? Are you on the right career path?